Tuesday, January 01, 2019

‡ Dreaming Awake ‡

How is your first day of 2019?
I spent it lazily in my own room and I think it's good for me to do that since I barely stay in this room for a while.
You can check the details on my recap of 2018 here.

Out of 365 nights last year, I only slept in this room for 182 nights.
Where were I on the other nights?
Surabaya, Bandung, Cirebon, Singapore, Jogjakarta, Bali.

Anyway, I do need to post several posts here to complete what I should have posted long time ago.

[1] The details of my Taiwan trip for Day 4 until Day 7.
Day 1 can be found here
Day 2 & 3 can be found here


[2] The details of my visit to Singapore.
4 - 7 September 2011 (mentioned here)
14 - 17 November 2012 (mentioned here)
12 - 15 January 2014 (mentioned here)
15 - 18 January 2017 (mentioned here)
28 May - 2 June 2018 (mentioned here)


[3] The details of my trip to Jogjakarta and Bali.
Oh, no, I'm not a traveler. I just think I should write them while I remember it well.
Or not so well anymore now.


Well, people, other than this blog which I have been maintained not so well since 2008,
I am reachable via Twitter or Instagram at @erlia91.
Such a shameless advertising of own social media account.

__________


Now, what should I post to start 2019 here?
Let's hope that this will not be the only blog post I have here this year. *crossed fingers*

I'll present you a short story today.
This story is never published anywhere and, to be exact, I only type this writing here.
It's completely a new piece so it might be messy (just like my other stories, I guess).

If you expect a bright, inspirational story because it's New Year,
my sincere apology because this is not what you're looking for.
To be honest I'm not even sure what kind of story that I'm specialized in.
I write some romance and drama stuffs, sometimes mystery, mostly fantasy.

So what kind of story is I'm going to create for the first time this year?






DREAMING AWAKE.

Another rainy morning.

He heaved a sigh, dropping his gaze to the empty chair next to the bed. Dust had covered it slightly, a sign that time had passed. He couldn't remember very well but he tried best to count the day.

364. Days had passed, nights had gone. Still, nothing.

"Do you miss her?" the familiar voice asked. It's the same question she kept asking him for 365 times already including today. "It's just like today, raining. That day."

"It's always like that day," he responded without looking at the only companion in the room. "The rain has never stopped. You know that very well, don't you?"

She scoffed, hinting the sarcasm, "You can stop it if you want it. You know that very well, don't you?"

He forced a smile, "Stopping it doesn't mean anything for me now. Being here though... It reminds me of everything."

None of them spoke a word for seconds, letting the sound of clock ticking and raindrops to fill the room. She decided to break the silence with something he never heard from her.

"She would be happy that you remember her but I don't think she would like to know how you keep her in memory."

He let out a small chuckle, shaking his head, "It doesn't matter how I do it for now. I made the decision so I know the consequences. She... She will stay where she is for all the time I spend here."

"Eternity?" she retorted.

"So be it," he shrugged, letting out another sigh. His gaze swept the whole empty room in a glance although he knew there's nothing new there.

No window. No table. No clock. No bed. No door.

Nothing. Nobody.

"It's been a long dream," her voice echoed through the room. "It's time for you to be awake."

"I'm always awake," he replied calmly like how he always did. He closed his eyes and, suddenly, the sound of raindrops disappeared. "Will it be nice to have spring now?"

No answer.

"Well, you love snow better," he opened his eyes to see a glass window on the wall, allowing him to admire the white snowflakes outside of his room. "It's a good dream, being awake like this."

"No regret?" she asked.

"No," he touched the window with his finger and an image of clock was drawn on the glass. The hands of clock stopped at twelve, not moving. "I have what I need here."

"I dream of you," he took steps back, looking at the chair which was not empty anymore. "And I'm awake for you."

"I'll always dream awake with you."


- end

__________


I hope you enjoy the short, absurd story.
Until next post, world!

0 issues: