Monday, January 21, 2013

‡ Limitation ‡



Why do I put the above quote at the opening here?

For the intermezzo, let me write down about what had happened for the past week in my life.
At the beginning of the week, everything was normal but everything turned upside down on Tuesday night.

Rain kept on pouring the town without mercy while one of my friends at office needed to stay till late to finish a really important task. My mother called me and said that maybe I couldn't return for tonight because of the rain and flood.

I ended up staying at a nearby hotel with my friend after staying at office till 2 AM. We returned to the office at 8 AM on Wednesday, continued to work till 7 PM before we returned to our houses.
That's when I realized that flood had gotten inside my house for around 20 centimeters or so but I kept telling myself that tomorrow morning would be alright.

Unfortunately rain betrayed my wish and the flood increased and increased.
I ended up with blackout at 11 PM on Thursday, trapped on second and third floor of my house while flood took the whole first floor.
On Friday, rain became heavier and flood increased in no time, causing us to be hopeless.
The situation continued until Sunday at 2 PM; we survived with limited water, Indomie, and eggs everyday.

I spent my time with reading books at daytime and did nothing at nighttime in the darkness. It's very uncomfortable especially at Saturday night when a fire incident happened only 1 kilometer away from my house.
That's quite a surprising situation. Thanks God people managed to calm the fire and there's no victim but, well, it did make me panic somehow.

When the electricity returned, I was really happy. People asked me how I could survive for 95 hours without electricity, without almost nothing at all.
Actually I was surprised by myself. I also wondered why my mother, the one who always complained that she couldn't sleep if the air conditioner was not cold enough, could survive the nights without it.

This is how I will link the first quote with my intermezzo.
People often said "I couldn't do it" or "It's impossible for me" or "I could only do it if...".
We put limits for ourselves, announcing them to the world that we have our own limits.

Here we must remember that we have what we called instinct to survive.
Perhaps it's too... far in our topic.
So let me give examples in my case.

I used to think that blackout for one day would make me suffer to the maximum state but, hey, I lived on for four days without complaining much. The same went for my mother.
Because the limitations we made are what we thought we could do and don't when, in fact, we probably could do it when we're pushed to the corners.

Have you ever experienced that?
When you did something you never thought you could and looked back, wondering how you could do all of those?


Credit goes to here and here

0 issues: